Experimenting with effects on vibraphone

For this installment of my vibraphone improvisation series, I wanted to try something new. I turned on a delay effect in Cubase and started to experiment. What I discovered after a couple of minutes is that a more articulate mallet made the effect cleaner, so I went all out and grabbed some rubber mallets here. Keeping the damper pad up, as I do at the beginning of this video, really gives a clean twinkly sound that reminded me of a music box. When the pedal finally goes down, you will notice that the sound becomes very washy, making it a little more difficult to do certain harmonic concepts with so much bleed over.

I’m not sure exactly how useful this sound is, but I think it has promise. At least enough to keep exploring new effects in the future. And besides, it was fun.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *